Who we are
The Cayman Islands Government’s Ministry of District Administration, Tourism & Transport is the data controller for the temporary function of processing personal data in order to approve and manage travel to the Cayman Islands during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are committed to making sure your data is safe. This privacy notice will explain how we use the personal data we collect from you when you use the Travel Cayman website.
Any questions regarding this notice and our privacy practices should be sent by email to TravelCayman@gov.ky.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
We collect personal data for the purpose of determining whether you are eligible to travel to the Cayman Islands under current public health requirements.
If you are approved to travel to the Cayman Islands on a specific date, we will also use your personal data to arrange for you to be tested for the COVID-19 virus (as required), to coordinate your transportation within the islands, and to approve where you plan to quarantine. These personal data include:
- Your name, age, gender, and nationality.
- Details of individuals who will travel or quarantine with you.
- Contact information such as email address and phone numbers.
Your IP address may also be logged when you use this application, in order to ensure our service remains secure.
Where you are asked to provide personal data relating to individuals who will travel or quarantine with you, we ask that you ensure you are authorised to provide those details and that each individual is made aware of how their personal data will be processed.
Our data processor
Our application website is hosted in Microsoft Azure. Your data will be stored securely in Microsoft Azure datacentres in the European Union.
What are your data protection rights?
We would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request copies of your personal data and other information related to our processing.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that we correct any information you believe is inaccurate, including to ensure it is complete or up to date.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that we erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to stop or restrict processing – You have the right to request that we stop or restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
You also have the right to complain to us or to the Ombudsman if you believe we are processing your personal data in a way that breaches the Cayman Islands Data Protection Law.
You can submit any requests, questions or complaints to us at TravelCayman@gov.ky. Information about the Cayman Islands Data Protection Law and how to complain to the Ombudsman is available on www.ombudsman.ky/data-protection.
How long do we retain your data?
We will only keep your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including to satisfy any legal, accounting, audit or reporting requirements.
Who has access to your information?
We may disclose your personal data to third parties who are also involved in travel approval and management during the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes other Cayman Islands Government public authorities who are data controllers for specific processing activities:
- Customs and Border Control, to confirm your immigration status in the Cayman Islands;
- the Facilities Management Department, to consider your application for the Quarantine in Residence programme or to confirm availability in a government isolation facility for your requested quarantine period;
- the Department of Public Safety Communications, if you are approved for the Quarantine in Residence programme, to arrange for electronic monitoring of you and any other person who will quarantine with you;
- the Health Services Authority, to organise testing for the COVID-19 virus; and
- Cayman Airways, for the purpose of the provision of operational assistance.
If your personal data are disclosed to any other person in order to facilitate travel and quarantine logistics, we will endeavour to inform you before this happens and let you know exactly who will receive your data and why. We will also only disclose the minimum amount of data necessary for that purpose.
How do we keep your personal data safe?
We take appropriate technical and organisational measures to keep your personal data confidential and secure, in accordance with our internal policies and procedures regarding storage of, access to and disclosure of personal data. We may keep your personal data in our electronic systems, in the systems of our data processor, or paper files.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
This function was previously known as “TravelTime” and this Privacy Notice was last updated on 7 October 2020 to reflect our expanded travel management function and new name.
We have the right to update the contents of this Privacy Notice from time to time to reflect any changes in the way in which we process your personal data or to reflect legal requirements as these may change. In case of updates, we will post the revised Privacy Notice here on our website.
Quarantine At Residence Privacy Notice
If you will be in Quarantine at Residence read the privacy notice here.