Cayman Islands Sister Island Travel Guidance
This section covers information relating to travel to and from the Sister Islands in regards to COVID-19 in the Cayman Islands.
Flights to Cayman Brac and Little Cayman are provided by Cayman Airways and are to and from Grand Cayman.
Inter-island travel between Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman is possible without being tested for the COVID-19 virus if you are over the age of five years old provided that:
- you are not showing any respiratory or other symptoms associated with COVID-19.
- you have completed a full course of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before travel and can provide evidence of this in the form of a vaccination certificate
To book inter-island travel contact Cayman Airways directly at www.caymanairways.com
Cayman Airways Repatriation Flights to Cayman Brac
Cayman Airways has scheduled flights from Miami which will stop in Cayman Brac to allow passengers to disembark, prior to proceeding to Grand Cayman. For health and safety reasons, no passengers will be permitted to board the flight in Cayman Brac. To book a flight, contact Cayman Airways by calling: 345-949-2311, 1-800-422-9626 (toll free in the USA); or book online at www.caymanairways.com
Quarantine At Residence Programme for Cayman Brac and Little Cayman
From 7 November, 2020, travellers may apply to quarantine at their residence in Cayman Brac and Little Cayman.
Quarantining at residence means that the traveller has agreed to:
- Wear a Stay Safe Cayman smart wristband
- Quarantine in an approved residential location
- Undergo COVID-19 testing on arrival at the Charles Kirkconnell International Airport (day 0) and again on day 15; and
- Remain in isolation for a minimum of 14 days, after which a negative test result and sign-off by the Medical Officer of Health will be required in order for the quarantine period to end.
- Allow 24-72 hours for off-boarding process, this includes a negative test result and return of monitoring equipment.
If the traveller lives with other people, all members of the household are subject to these same conditions.
The Stay Safe Cayman wristband is a hospital-grade, lightweight, hypo-allergenic, latex-free, and skin-friendly wristband. Washing hands and showering with the wristband on is acceptable but you should not submerge it underwater for more than a few seconds.
The wristband communicates via Bluetooth to a custom mobile app on a smart phone, and creates a virtual perimeter around the quarantine location.
If the wearer goes beyond the perimeter of their quarantine location an alert will be sent to the monitoring team. Alerts will also be sent if the wristband stops communicating with the phone, or the phone with the servers, or if it is tampered with, or damaged.
Travellers who quarantine at residence must agree to:
- Have the residence pre-inspected for approval as an appropriate quarantine location.
- Allow access to the mobile compliance team to conduct random checks over the period of quarantine.
Quarantine at Residence Criteria For The Property
In order to be approved as an appropriate quarantine location, the residence must meet the following conditions:
- Access to running water and electricity
- Access to bathroom facilities that are in good working order, are not shared with persons outside of the quarantining group, and provide a shower/bath, toilet and sink with a supply of hot and cold water
- Access to kitchen facilities that are not shared with any persons outside the quarantining group, with access to hot and cold water
- Adequate ventilation, with a window(s) that can be opened to allow fresh air to circulate
- Where there is a/c, there is a self-contained air-handling system, which ensures that units do not circulate air to other residences
- Access to either curb-side pickup for garbage or a central garbage dumpster
- Access for the delivery of foods and medications
- Agree to random spot checks from the compliance team by phone or in person
On arrival at the Charles Kirkconnell International Airport, if you have been pre-approved to participate in the quarantine at residence programme, you will be fitted with a Stay Safe Cayman electronic smart wristband and issued with a mobile phone running the Stay Safe Cayman app. On arrival at your quarantine location, you simply pinpoint the location via the app.
Delivery of Food and Supplies
While a household is in quarantine, food, medication and essential supplies should be ordered from suppliers who offer contactless payment and delivery. This means paying online or over the phone and having the delivery left outside the front door. There should be no face-to-face or in-person direct contact.
You cannot physically collect the supplies until after the person delivering them has left the property. Wear a mask while picking up the delivery.
Delivery personnel, relatives and friends are not allowed to enter the home or have physical contact with the occupants while they are in quarantine.
You cannot allow any individual who does not reside in your household to enter your home, or enter your yard space if you are physically outside of your home at the same time. This includes but is not limited to friends and family, nannies, domestic helpers, work colleagues, service providers, and delivery personnel.
Quarantining With Other Household Members
If you live with other people, all members of your household are subject to the same conditions and must quarantine with you and remain in isolation for a minimum of 14 days. The mobile compliance team will visit the location before your arrival to fit their wristbands and assign them smart phones.
On day 15 all members of the household will be required to take a PCR test. Allow 24-72 hours for off-boarding process, this includes a negative test result signed-off by the Medical Officer of Health and return of monitoring equipment.
Quarantining In Condos or Apartments with Communal Areas
You must stay within the perimeter of your quarantine location and not use any communal areas. These include communal yards and communal pools. Using a private outdoor balcony is permitted only if there is at least 6ft distance between your balcony and the next.
Private Yards and Pools
You are permitted to enter your private yard but no visitors are allowed in your private yard space at the same time that you are physically outside of your home. You must be indoors if anyone is making deliveries to avoid face-to-face contact.
Quarantine at Residence Pool and Garden Service
All regular servicing and on-site maintenance must be suspended for the duration of the quarantine period. Only emergency work that cannot possibly be postponed should be considered, and will require advance approval from the Travel Cayman Team, who will consult with you as necessary.
Where pets are accompanying the traveller, permission must be sought from the Department of Agriculture in advance of travel. Click here for more information
Pets accompanying the traveller, or that are already on island and will reside in the residence of the traveller during the quarantine period are subject to the following conditions:
- Self-quarantine at a private residence is required. This must be a stand-alone, fully fenced property with NO common areas, and is not accessible by other persons or animals not residing at the property.
- The pet(s) must be quarantined for the entire duration of the owner’s quarantine period, and can only be allowed off the property once the owner is released from quarantine by the Chief Medical Officer.
- The Director of the Department of Agriculture or his authorised representative may inspect the pet at the property at any time during the quarantine period.
COVID-19 Travel Insurance
All inbound travellers will be required to attest to a statement which confirms:
- that they possess health insurance which includes COVID-19 coverage, or
- that they understand the financial risks they are taking, and that they have independent means to cover their medical, accommodation and travel costs
As prescribed, under existing Customs and Border Control legislation, government reserves the right to require that travellers who cannot show means to support themselves during their visit provide a written guarantee from a sponsor, undertaking that the sponsor will be fully responsible for the costs incurred by the traveller during their stay.
In the event that a traveller or a member of their travelling party tests positive for COVID-19 prior to travel, you may be required to cancel or postpone your visit.
In the event that a non-resident traveller test positive for COVID-19 while in the Cayman Islands, they may be required to isolate from the wider community, and this could lead to incurring unexpected accommodation costs as the traveller may not be able to return home on the date intended.
Many annual travel insurance policies, or contracts entered into prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, do not cover COVID-19 risks. If you have an insurance policy, please check carefully that COVID-19 risks are covered.
Additionally, many private or employee health insurance policies only cover medical treatment in the home country, and do not cover expenses associated with accommodation costs and changes to travel plans. All travellers should check that their health insurance policy covers these potential needs.
Quarantine at Residence Penalties
Any breach of these conditions may result in removal from the quarantine at residence programme without notice and a requirement to complete the quarantine period in a government quarantine facility. Certain breaches of these conditions may also amount to an offence under the Public Health Law (2002 Revision) and regulations made under it relating to the control of Covid-19.
Persons in breach of these conditions may be liable to a fine of ten thousand dollars and to imprisonment for two years.
Please note that these constitute conditions of quarantine provided for by the Medical Officer of Health for the purposes of regulations made under the Public Health Law (2002 Revision) relating to the control of COVID-19.
To receive assistance or if you have questions or concerns while quarantining at home, contact the Travel Support Team via email at TravelSupport@gov.ky or by calling 945 0556 or 946 7858.
Still have Questions?
Visit our travel homepage.