In Cayman Brac F.A.Qs
This section covers questions relating Cayman Brac and regulations in place surrounding COVID-19 in the Sister Islands. These rules apply specifically to Cayman Brac. Click the links below to skip to the relevant questions or scroll down to read more:
The Curfews & Shelter-In-Place
- What is the current suppression level in Cayman Brac?
- When is the curfew in Cayman Brac?
- What are the rules for public meetings?
- What are the rules for taxis?
- What are the rules for visitations in Cayman Brac?
- What are the rules for public places in Cayman Brac?
- Do I have to wear a mask?
- Can I go to the beach?
- Can I go on a boat in Cayman Brac?
- Are restaurants and bars open in Cayman Brac?
- Can I travel to Cayman Brac?
- Can I travel to Grand Cayman from Cayman Brac?
- What happens if the regulations are breached?
What is the Current Suppression Level in Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac is on suppression level 2 or 'minimal suppression' from Sunday 21 June.
When is the curfew in Cayman Brac
As of 4:30am on Sunday, 20 June 2020, Cayman Brac is under no hard curfew order and has no shelter-in-place or soft curfew regulations.
Residents are reminded that staying home, practising social distancing, and frequent hand washing will reduce the potential spread of COVID-19.
What are the rules for public meetings?
No person shall hold any procession or festive ceremony until further notice, regardless of the number of people involved.
Public meetings may not include 25 or more people. These include gatherings in any public place for the purpose of engaging in the following activities:
- leisure, recreational or spiritual activities including those organised by service clubs, faith-based organisations, community organisations, civic organisations and business organisations
- parades and social activities related to such parades, including stage shows and parties
- sporting events
The public meetings restrictions does not apply to churches that can accommodate more than 25 people.
Restrictions on the size of public meetings do not apply to employees or customers at businesses. However, the owner or operator must restrict the number of customers inside a place of business at any time to allow persons to maintain social distancing.
What Are the Rules for Taxis?
Public transport and taxi services my operate with no more than 50% of the total seating capacity at any one time to ensure each passenger is able to distance himself or herself as far as possible from other passengers and the driver.
The driver and passengers must wear masks or cloth face coverings, including while within an enclosed or semi-enclosed waiting area.
What Are the Rules for Visitation In Cayman Brac?With the exception of the Director of the Sister Islands Health Services or a person authorised by the Director of the Sister Islands Health Services, nobody is allowed to visit:
- a place or facility of quarantine or isolation
- a detainee in a prison or place of detention
- a patient in a health care facility
What Are The Rules For Public Places In Cayman Brac?
Inside public places, the owner or operator must restrict the number of customers at any one time so that each customer is able to distance himself or herself at least six feet or two metres from any other person.
If you are indoors and/or in a public place, you must maintain a distance of at least six feet or two metres from another person (unless you live in the same immediate household) and wear a mask or cloth face covering (with limited exceptions).
Do I have to Wear A Mask?
In Cayman Brac, any person over the age of two years who is indoors in a public place must cover their mouth and nose with a mask or cloth face covering.
You must also wear masks or cloth face coverings when providing or using the services of any taxi or ride-sharing, or similar public transport service, or while within an enclosed or semi-enclosed waiting area for the transport service.
You do not have to wear a mask in Cayman Brac if:
- You are unable to wear a mask or cloth face covering due to a medical condition (you will not be required to produce documentation verifying the condition) or you are otherwise exempted by guidance provided by the Medical Officer of Health
- You are sitting or eating, without talking, at your desk or place of employment
- You are a customer at a restaurant or bar and seated at a table
There is a special way for children aged 2-10 years old to wear masks and cloth face coverings, which the Medical Officer of Health will provide written guidance on.
Where a customer refuses to wear a mask or cloth face covering for non-medical
reasons, the owner or operator of a public place may decline entry to the person.
Can I Go To The Beach In Cayman Brac?
Can I Go On A Boat In Cayman Brac?
In Cayman Brac, you may use a boat to travel for pleasure, including fishing. No more than 10 people can be on any boat and you are not allowed to travel by boat for pleasure to visit Grand Cayman.
Can I Travel To Cayman Brac?
Essential personnel may travel to Cayman Brac by air or boat without quarantine or isolation to carry out essential services.
No person in Grand Cayman is permitted to travel by boat to Cayman Brac except for the transport of freight.
Persons in Grand Cayman who wish to travel to Cayman Brac - including Cayman Brac residents who were seeking medical care in Grand Cayman - will need to quarantine for 14 days on Grand Cayman, be tested for the COVID-19 virus, and return negative results before they will be allowed to enter Cayman Brac. The borders are otherwise closed.
If you wish to travel to Cayman Brac from Grand Cayman, before travelling, you must:
- notify the Medical Officer of Health of the proposed travel,
- remain at your residence or such other place of isolation as specified by the Medical Officer of Health for a period of not less than 14 days, and
- be tested for the COVID-19 virus.
Travel may only be permitted if the test has been declared to be negative by the Medical Officer of Health.
Once you have been given permission and tested negative for COVID-19 you will be transported immediately after receiving the results to the airport or to the boat for boarding, by a person assigned by the Medical Officer of Health.
Are Restaurants and Bars Open In Cayman Brac?
Yes. Restaurants and bars may offer indoor and outdoor services subject to the following conditions:
- Social distancing must be maintained in restrooms and waiting areas and customers and staff must also wear masks or cloth face coverings while indoors in these areas.
- Servers and front of house staff must wear masks or cloth face coverings while serving customers.
- Customers shall not engage in dancing or karaoke before Sunday, 19 July.
Can I Travel To Grand Cayman From Cayman Brac?
You may travel from Cayman Brac to Grand Cayman for any reason. However, before you are able to return to Cayman Brac you will be subject to the same conditions as anyone else (see Can I travel to Cayman Brac?).
What Happens If The Regulations Are Breached In Cayman Brac?
A person who contravenes the regulations commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine of one thousand dollars and to imprisonment for six months.
For certain offences, a ticketing system also allows persons to choose to pay a smaller fine or appear in court and risk paying the full fine.