Our kids missed a lot out of this year, so we hope we can discover lots of fun left in 2020. The Ministry of Health encourages the public who plan to engage in Halloween activities this year to practise preventative measures in order to reduce the possible transmission of COVID-19.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser. A helpful tip is to carry a pocket-sized hand sanitiser and use frequently if collecting candy from others.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unclean hands or after touching candy.
- Consider wearing a mask while visiting other people’s homes. Costume masks do not substitute for surgical masks or cloth masks (made of two or more breathable fabrics) covering your nose and mouth.
- Maintain six feet away from other groups as much as practical.
- Stick to your social groups (the friends you usually see at home or at school). Avoid moving between groups of friends
- Do not trick-or-treat if you are unwell and avoid contact with anyone who is sick.
Houses participating in trick-or-treating activities can do their part too! We recommend the ‘grab-n-go’ method:
- Provide zip lock/ goodie bags for trick or treaters to grab-n-go. This limits the traditional grabbing of treats in one container. If you are preparing goodie bags, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before preparing the bags.
- Place treats a few feet away from your door to maintain distance.
- Disinfect treat areas regularly, tablecloths and other surroundings with disinfectant where people may regularly touch.
- Provide hand sanitiser nearby for trick-or-treaters to use.
These recommendations are meant to supplement and not to replace requirements under the Prevention, Control and Suppression of COVID-19 (Partial Lifting of Restrictions) (No.4) Regulations, 2020. If you are planning to host a Halloween party or participate in trick-or-treating, we encourage you to regularly check for Government updates on COVID-19 cases to determine whether you need to change your plans.
Be safe Cayman.